HOW TO HEALTHIFY + UPGRADE YOUR HEALTH JOURNEY
Guest post by Natasha Bell:
Feel stuck? Feel unhealthy? Feel stressed out? Feel bloated? Feel out of control? Feel lack luster? Feel hormonal? Feel like you are always giving and not taking care of yourself? Feeling unsure of where to start? Feeling guilty when you try to take care of yourself?
Ohhhh the #momguilt.
But guess what, this is a good… check that… GREAT news situation.
The great news is that you are in the drivers seat. You call the shots. You choose if healthy choices are a part of your day. I want you to reclaim all the power on your health journey for a number of reasons. First of all, you are worth it. You are so worth it and you need true deep-rooted health in order to be the best mom, spouse and human you can be. And despite how difficult you may have been led to believe it is to be healthy…it’s not!
For a moment here let’s turn down all the noise, stop chasing all those unattainable visions of what healthy looks like and tune into you and where you are. This is your journey. This is your formula. You get to design what health looks and feels like in your world. You are capable of making these shifts.
I am so excited to be able to share some nuggets about health and wellness because this is what lights my soul on fire. I love supporting women on their health journey so that they can feel their best and thrive! We don’t need to be surviving each day and just getting by, we deserve to thrive. There will be seasons of life where we are giving more than we are pouring into ourselves but I believe with every ounce of my being that even in those stages we still have the opportunity to choose health in even the smallest ways. With a 6 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old… I speak from personal experience.
For those of you who I haven’t had the chance to meet, I am a proud mama of three amazing kiddo’s, Sloane (5), Roman (3) and Scarlett (6 months). Over the last 10 years I have travelled supporting my husband as he lived out his childhood dream of playing professional hockey and since his retirement (just over a year ago), we have settled into life in the country (just outside of Stratford) to raise our family.
Six years ago I took a leap of faith and changed careers. From a brief stint in Journalism Broadcasting I went back to school for Natural Nutrition. My journey to this place was fuelled by wanting to help others, to use my voice in an empowering way and to raise other women up all while being able to live my best life in the process. Becoming a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Entrepreneur has been one of the best decisions of my life. I have had the honour of supporting hundreds of women on their health journey as they focus on healthy fertility, a healthy pregnancy and taking care of themselves into motherhood.
Over the last six years of health coaching through one-on-one sessions, group health coaching programs and most recently in our cozy Loft Hangouts, there are some very real and common themes that present themselves every time. I have a feeling you will be able to relate.
It’s often about feeling worthy of change, feeling supported and committing to change because the reason you are doing it – is big. Like really big. It’s more than a number on the scale or wearing a certain size. And guess what!?! We honestly have hundreds of choices every single day that will either push you closer to greater health or take you a few steps back. Healthy is a way of life but you and your tribe are SO worth it!!! I like to look at it as choosing to be better and do better each day. It needs to become a non-negotiable. Life has its many highs and many lows but in the chaos and fullness of life your health and wellbeing is always worth it.
Here are 5 small but hugely impactful ways that I focus on creating positive health and wellness in my own life and sharing with my clients.
1. DRINK MORE WATER. Almost all of the women I work with don’t drink enough water. You MUST. Coffee doesn’t count and in fact means you need to drink more (just a friendly reminder). Pure filtered water makes the difference in energy levels, proper digestive system health (errrr… elimination), clear thinking, and glowing skin. Seriously, drink more water. Start your day with juice of half of a lemon in warm water, don’t leave home without water (ever) and sip throughout the day. Start at ½ your body weight in ounces, but increase based on activity level or if you are pregnant or breastfeeding for example.
2. PLAN TO BE HEALTHY. As I’m sure you have discovered by now, healthy doesn’t just happen and with a young family this has been proven time and time again to me. I am sure you can relate. Fail to plan, plan to fail. You deserve better health and it’s up to you to create those shifts in your day. Let’s let go of saying we don’t have “enough time” because we all have enough time, and we all know that we create time for those things that are a priority. While you might love to sit on the couch watching Netflix for a couple of hours and mindlessly scroll through social media, I have a better idea. Why not make some positive change and instead put on some great music, get in the kitchen and prep some food for the coming day, get lunches ready, get bags packed (the goal is to decrease stress). I love finding an informative podcast on a topic that I adore while I do this and it’s a little gift of self-development while puttering around in the kitchen or folding some laundry. And if you have some time left, how about a 20-30 minute bath soak (Epsom salts + baking soda + essential oils are magic) and facemask before you hit the hay. Same amount of time spent but imagine what you would feel like if you did the latter even a couple times a week. There is always room for improvement to really take a peek at how you spend your time and shift to more positive, health empowered rituals.
3. EAT MORE REAL FOOD. You will feel better and more alive and energetic if you shift to better quality and healthier foods. As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist I witness this all of the time. As a mom, healthy food is ammo to keep my kids in good health and help them to rebound when they come down with something. We have real conversations with our kids about where our food comes from, how different foods taste, they are encouraged to try new things that I make (even just one bite!) and I choose nutrient dense options that are mostly made in our own kitchen. For the love of your health… please, OUT with diets and quick fixes and IN with real, whole foods that nourish your body and soul. The key is to start small as you focus your energy on making wiser choices. Start with breakfast, then create a repertoire of 3 healthy snacks that you all love, then work your way into lunch and dinner options that are tried and tested, quick to make and healthy!
4. GREEN THE PRODUCTS IN YOUR HOME. Another huge area of discussion in our home and in my wellness business is helping families live a whole lot more au naturel by greening the products they use every single day. There is no need in this day and age to use harmful chemicals and we are continuing to learn more and more about the long term effects of daily exposure to harmful chemicals and toxins. Do your best to go room-by-room and think about ways to green the things you are using such as; candles, air fresheners, hand soaps, deodorant, skin care, body lotions, perfume, toothpaste, baby products, cleaning products and laundry detergent. The easiest way I found empowerment and was able to make the transition to cleaner products was by incorporate essential oils and other oil infused products into our home. Moral of the story, you always have the opportunity to healthify your choices in the food you eat and the products that you use.
5. FIND YOUR TRIBE. Your tribe matters and here is why. You become like the 5 people you spend the most time with. So really think about that. Choose those 5 people wisely. Spend more time with friends, family, mentors and health practitioners that are in alignment with your biggest goals, that lift you up, challenge you, support you and help you to elevate your life. Connecting with these people help you to stay motivated and on track. Our family has benefitted from holistic modalities such as essential oils, chiropractic, massage, naturopathic, osteopathy/structural integration, energy work, hot yoga and more. I believe in preventative health and becoming an active participant in our health care. Sit down and consider truly becoming the CEO of your life and your health journey and I hope you will find a community to tap into and support you on that journey.
Consistency is everything. Slow and steady wins the race every time! I’m not 100% sure there is such a thing as finding the perfect balance, it seems to be more about living in harmony and riding the waves of life while still staying true to you and your vision of how you want your life to be.
If you take nothing but this. Know that you always have the opportunity and the gift of choosing to healthify or upgrade the decisions you make every single day. That might be in the food you choose to eat, the rituals or habits you create throughout your day but you have a choice, and you are worthy of abundant health.
Wishing you so much love on your health journey!
Natasha Bell is a wife, mom of 3, Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Entrepreneur who is fiercely passionate about showing others how to live in better health and thrive on their health journey. For delicious recipes, real life healthy tips and all things essential oils check out her community on Instagram + Facebook @thehealthyginger and over at www.thehealthyginger.com. If you are in the Stratford area, you can always check out an upcoming Loft Hangout!
Want to receive weekly emails with links to posts like this one directly in your inbox? Click here to sign up!